Auto Accident Attorney
Beaumont, Orange, Port Arthur, Baytown, Atascocita, and Pasadena, Texas Car Accident Lawyer
It only takes seconds for an auto accident to occur, and millions of them occur every year all over the country. It has been reported by various government agencies, including the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, that every year there are nearly six million police-reported auto accidents in the US every year. Over two million people are seriously injured in these auto accidents, and nearly 40,000 are killed. In 2008 in Texas, there were an estimated 3382 fatalities due to traffic accidents. This is above average for other states, meaning that you are more likely to be killed in an auto accident in Texas than in almost any other state.
The Orange auto accident attorneys at Bush Lewis P.L.L.C. can help if you have been injured, or a loved one killed, in an auto accident.
Common Causes of Auto Accidents
There are many reasons for auto accidents. Most of them are due to the inattention of the driver. Some of the most common causes of auto accidents include:
- Driver distraction (cell phone usage, radio, eating or drinking)
- Driver impairment (driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol)
- Reckless driving (racing, speeding or road rage)
- Driver fatigue (falling asleep at the wheel)
- Road obstructions (animals, debris, or other obstructions in the road)
- Road conditions ( unmarked road hazards, potholes, uneven road surfaces)
- Weather-related (snow-packed, icy or wet roadways, dense fog, blizzard, or whiteout conditions)
Auto accidents may also happen to even the most attentive drivers on the road due to defective vehicle parts. Defective tires and brakes have been in the news for years. Late last year we saw millions of vehicles recalled by Toyota for sudden acceleration, which has killed and injured many people in the US. When vehicle parts malfunction, there can be serious consequences for those people in the vehicle, other vehicles and passengers on the road, bystanders, and personal property.
What to Do Following an Auto Accident
The minutes after an auto accident may be chaotic and your mind elsewhere. However, it is extremely important to remain as calm as possible and gather as much information as you can about the accident and the other parties involved. No matter how minor the auto accident, they can be unsettling. For this reason, it may be useful to keep a checklist handy with what to do following an auto accident. Things you should do after an accident are:
- Call the police
- Check all parties for injuries; do not move injured parties unless they are in danger of further injury or death where they are
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible for any injuries sustained
- Gather information from all parties involved: names, addresses, phone numbers, vehicle registration information, vehicle license numbers, driver's license numbers Call your insurance agent or an automobile accident attorney
- Do not admit any fault to the police or witnesses at the scene
- Do not sign any papers at the scene or make any written statements
- Do not leave the scene until the police have left
Reasons to Contact an Experienced Auto Accident Attorney
Insurance companies want to resolve auto accidents as quickly as possible, while providing as little compensation for victims as possible, even those who are so seriously injured they cannot return to work. It is important to have an experienced auto accident attorney on your side so that you do not miss out on compensation that you deserve. Compensation may be available to you or your family for:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of economic support
There are many areas an experienced auto accident attorney can help get compensation from. Devastating injuries, such as amputation, burns, spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries and more can ruin lives and livelihoods.
The Beaumont car accident lawyers at Bush Lewis can do the legwork and deal with legalities and the insurance companies while you focus on healing. Our personal injury attorneys work to get you the compensation you deserve as quickly as possible.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an auto accident in the Beaumont, Orange, Pasadena, Atascocita, Baytown, or Port Arthur, Texas area, please contact the experienced car accident attorneys at Bush Lewis P.L.L.C. for a free consultation.